The Top 50 Restaurants in the World list is out and let’s see who made it.
Nestled between France and Italy, is the luxurious French Riviera where the town of Menton is home to Mirazur now known as the “Best Restaurant in the World 2019” . This is the first time a French restaurant has received this honor since these awards were launched in 2002. However, let’s not feel bad given the place has three Michelin stars.
Noma in Copenhagen was awarded second place, while Asador Etxebarri in Atxondo, Spain won third. The highest ranking U.S. restaurant was Cosme (New York) at No. 23, followed by Blue Hill at Stone Barns (Pocantico Hills, NY) at No. 28. In 2009, Mirazur was number 35 on the list.
New award policies include: previous winners cannot be eligible for the list which means well-lauded places like New York’s Eleven Madison Park, The French Laundry in California, The Fat Duck near London and last year’s winner, Osteria Francescana from Modena in Italy are no longer allowed. However, these restaurants will instead enter a ‘Best of the Best’ program which is yet to be defined.
Below here’s the top ten in ranking order:
1. Mirazur (Menton, France)
2. Noma (Copenhagen, Denmark) *Highest-ever new entry*
3. Asador Etxebarri (Axpe, Spain)
4. Gaggan (Bangkok) *best restaurant in Asia*
5. Geranium (Copenhagen, Denmark)
6. Central (Lima, Peru) *best restaurant in South America*
7. Mugaritz (San Sebastian, Spain)
8. Arpege (Paris, France) Alain Passard’s place
9. Disfrutar (Barcelona, Spain) *last year’s highest new entry*
10. Maido (Lima, Peru)